Charlotte Amalie VI 00802
The original building, constructed in 1828, was a wooden structure. These quarters used as barracks are documented on a map of St. Thomas of 1730, which shows the barracks and its installations which includes water batteries on which 8 cannons were located; officers barracks; noncommissioned officers barracks; senior and junior clerks barracks; musketeers barracks, prison chambers, catchment and wine cellar.
The present building is a reconstruction of the original and was completed in 1874 as the Roman numerals (MDCCCLXXIV) on the building verify. Among the significant events which took place on its grounds was the official transfer of the Danish West Indies to the United States in 1917.
The two-story Legislature Building houses the offices of the Virgin Islands Legislature. The original building was a wooden structure erected in 1828 as barracks for Danish police. The present building is a reconstruction and was completed in 1874.