Originally built in 1755, Holy Cross was extensively altered in the 1850s. It is located on Company Street in Christiansted. It was built in the shape of a cross to represent St. Croix which means “holy cross” in French. The Holy Cross Catholic Church is on eof the most impressive ecclestical monuments on the island and one of thr most elaborate due to its combination of neo-classical and neo-gothic elements. For example, notice the molded cornice at the top of each facade and the "Gothick" (meaning fanciful) pinnacles with cusps on the corners and along the top of the parapet.