Places of Worship
Mass: Saturday 6pm, Sunday 6:30am, 8:30am, 10:30am (English); 12:30pm (Spanish)
The St. Thomas Reformed Church was established around 1660, and is one of the oldest congregations in the Virgin Islands. Organized by Dutch traders as the St. Thomas Protestant Reformed Dutch Church, early services were held in Fort Christian, which remains a museum and historical site in downtown Charlotte Amalie.
This hybrid church combines an 1812 West Indian hipped roof structure featuring classical and local details with a neo-Gothic, three-tiered tower erected in 1848. St. Paul's Anglican Church is located on Prince Street in Frederiksted. St. Paul's Anglican Church began shortly after the land belonging to Danish crown was deed to the parish in 1812. By the end of the year, this present site of the Anglican worship in Frederiksted was opened for worship. The three-tiered Gothic Revival tower, built in 1840, is made of local limestone and imported brick.
Frederiksted VI 00840
Built in 1848 to meet the rising expectation of Emancipation, the church expanded shortly after construction to accommodate a growing congregation. Built from local cut stone, the west entry faÃ ade has elements of both Gothic Revival and Neoclassical style. St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church is located on Prince and Market Street in Frederiksted.
Mass: Saturday 5pm, Sunday 7am (English); 10am (Spanish)
St. John's Anglican Church was built between 1849 and 1858, replacing a structure built in 1772. A fire destroyed much of the original interior. This design and rebuilding reflects fidelity to the Gothic Revival style prescribed for Anglican churches throughout the world. Few alterations were made to meet the needs of the growing congreation. Nonetheless, it retains much of its original interior woodwork. It is the most stylistically correct of all in the Gothic Revival buildings in the Virgin Islands.
Mass: Saturday 5pm, Sunday 8am